Friday, June 5, 2009

Doctors and Hospitals Join In; AHIP Day 3


Today, the President of the American Medical Association and the President/CEO of a major Los Angeles hospital participated in the primary (annual) meeting of the health plans from across the country. I guarantee you, a year ago these groups wouldn't have been part of the dialogue here. It shows how things have changed.

I think I heard the word "collaboration" today more than I've ever heard it before- and in the right way. And, I heard the dialogue and discussion between diverse stakeholders much more "honest" than I've ever heard before. The fact that the doctors, the hospitals, and the health plans are even talking together shows how far things have come. We aren't at the "hugs and kisses" stage yet- but the fact that its even happening recognizes that there is some common ground that can be built upon to come as close to a win/win outcome as we can. This is what we've been talking about since we created Collaboration Health Care three years ago. It can happen, and it can be done.
This group, (and three others) sent a letter to President Obama last week and we posted it on the resource page of our site http://www.collaborationhealthcare.com/. This letter was an attempt to provide more color and detail behind strategies that would be used to support their collective committment to "bend the cost curve" in health care spending in a collaborative process. There is no doubt that we still have a ways to go- but stakeholders are recognizing that we need to break down the silos that have evolved over the years to make this work. Those that aren't willing to collaborate and dialogue are going to be left behind. It just requires a little different perspective and a little different thinking than we're used to. (And, yes I recognize I was a little skeptical when this group originally announced their committment a few weeks ago- see previous blog- but, after listening to their rationale today- I believe the intent is more sincere than I gave credit for)

We also heard quite a bit about the "Massachusetts Experiment" today. Suffice it to say, it's not going real well in Massachusetts. But, once again, I hoped we've learned something from it. We've proven the fact, once again, that if you don't address cost and access at the same time when you are designing a delivery model- it's going to break the bank (same thing we did with Medicare).

-----

So, the AHIP conference of 2009 is over. In summary, I'd say the attendance was about the same as in the past (maybe slightly lower), smaller (but still respectable) number of exhibitors, and a little more somber mood. We all heard some very dramatic statistics and predictions about what could happen if we don't do something- and urgently. The time for talking about it is over- too much is at stake. I think everyone at the conference would agree. And, I actually think all of the stakeholders are beginning to understand that they can't do it themselves. I don't have the answer about how much should be controlled by a "government function" and how much should be placed in the free-market. We know that too much of the controlled function is not what this country is all about and too much of the free-market just doesn't work in a multi-segmented health care structure. As we said back in 2006, it's a combination between the two. We've just got to keep talking to each other to capitalize on the commonalities and reach the right combination.

In the world of health care- this is an historic event.

2 comments:

  1. Michael,

    Thanks for the report from the AHIP Conference. If there is any additional information you could pass along about the conference I would appreciate it.

    I'll talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    Thanks for the information from the AHIP Conference. I appreciate it. If there is any additional information you could pass along I would appreciate it. I'll talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete